For more information, contact:
Kerry Hassen, Corporate Communications
Delaware North Companies
Company partners with NYC catering company Great Performances to present locally grown dinner
BUFFALO, N.Y. (September 2, 2008) - CPS Events at The Plaza, manager and operator of The Plaza Grand Ballroom, the exquisitely restored and glamorous site of countless memorable New York affairs and events, recently hosted a 100 Mile Menu dinner for a select crowd of New York City insiders. Serving a menu comprised solely of ingredients sourced within a 100-mile radius of New York City, CPS Events indulged over 250 invited guests with a "Country Chic" buffet dinner featuring locally grown food, wines and spirits.
The evening celebrated CPS Events' partnership between Delaware North Companies and Great Performances, two companies known for consistently supporting sustainable agriculture and local growers. The Plaza Grand Ballroom is the first major entertaining and event venue in the country to incorporate the 100 Mile "field to fork" concept into all of its menus, from wedding receptions and black-tie events to business banquets and charity affairs.
CPS Events introduced this new standard of catering at the Grand Ballroom when it reopened in January 2008 with menus featuring ingredients that appear on the ballroom's tables within 36 hours of being harvested. Rick Abramson, president of Delaware North Companies Sportservice division, said the decision to partner with NYC catering firm Great Performances to provide the locally-conscience event was easy, particularly because the dinner focused on several principles Delaware North maintains.
"Creating green initiatives and emphasizing local purchasing have been big goals of our company," said Abramson. "As our guests become more and more aware of the importance of environmental preservation and utilizing local products, they are looking to us to demonstrate that we're embracing this eco-friendly campaign. We are continually looking for ways to demonstrate our commitment to green initiatives in all of our food service operations, from how we dispose of our waste to the type of food products we offer."
Liz Neumark, founder and CEO of Great Performances, explained that as a competitive catering firm, they have become known for embracing sustainable agriculture. Neumark said that in order to guarantee year-round locally grown produce, Great Performances owns and operates an organic farm and claims to be the first caterer in the country to do so.
"We only use the freshest and most flavorful ingredients in our menus, with local grown ingredients included in all our recipes," said Neumark. "Guests enjoy a superb culinary experience and the added benefits of supporting local agriculture, the environment and the economy."
Menu at CPS Events at The Plaza 100 Mile Menu Buffet Dinner:
- Katchkie Farm Un-Bloody Mary ? 95 Miles
- Smashed Peach and Bourbon Julep ? 95 Miles
Hors D'Oeuvres Selections
- Country Pizza with Spring Onions and Ricotta ? 80 Miles
- Striped Bass Escaviche with Pickled Beets ? 95 Miles
- Duck Confit with Sour Cherries ? 40 Miles
- Hudson Valley Foie Gras on Brioche with Rhubarb Chutney ? 84 Miles
- Beef Slider with Thunder Pickles, Katchkie Farm Ketchup ? 95 Miles
- Fried Green Tomatoes with Aioli ? 91 Miles
- Barbecued Pork on Blini ? 97 Miles
Dinner Buffet Selections
- Farmer Bob's Chopped Salad - Fresh and ready to be picked vegetables, chopped and combined with Katchkie Farm Hand-Sheered Greens and 100 Mile Red Wine Vinaigrette -- 95 Miles
- Hudson Valley Tomatoes, simply cut, seasoned and drizzled with a Clean Basil Oil, served with Grilled Pizza Bianca -- 84 Miles
- Chilled Green Garlic Soup -- 95 Miles
- Long Island Oysters "Casino" Style -- 40 Miles
- Oak Grove Plantation Pork Sausage and Sweet Peppers -- 48 Miles
- Dines Farm Local Rib Roast with Natural Jus, Caramelized Turnips, Sautéed Bordeaux Spinach and Roasted Local Potatoes -- 97 Miles
- Hawthorne Valley Sautéed Rainbow Trout, Roxbury Farm Smoked Sweet Corn Brûlee, Fresh Pea Tendrils and Warm Tomato Vinaigrette -- 90 Miles
- Maison Chop Farm Rosemary Studded Leg of Lamb with an Arugula and Garlic Scape Coulis -- 44 Miles
- Assorted Sautéed Baby Squash with Blossoms and Fresh Herb Oil -- 95 Miles
- Peach and Thyme Cake with Caramel Chantilly Cream -- 95 Miles
- Assorted Local Fruit Ice Pops -- 93 Miles
- Funnel Cake with Blueberry Panna Cotta and Maple Ice Cream -- 82 Miles
About Central Park South Events at The Plaza
Central Park South Events at The Plaza is a stand-alone joint venture between two New York state based companies, Great Performances and Delaware North Companies, created to manage and operate The Plaza Grand Ballroom and meeting space. Great Performances, New York's prestigious event and catering company, and Delaware North Companies, one of the world's leading hospitality and food service providers, opened the landmark Grand Ballroom in January 2008 and have signed a 25-year lease with Elad Properties, owner of The Plaza. For more information, visit www.eventsattheplaza.com.
About Delaware North Companies
Delaware North Companies is one of the world's leading hospitality and food service providers. Its family of companies includes Delaware North Companies Parks & Resorts, Delaware North Companies Gaming & Entertainment, Delaware North Companies Travel Hospitality Services, Delaware North Companies Sportservice, Delaware North Companies International and Delaware North Companies Boston, owner of TD Banknorth Garden. Delaware North Companies is one of the largest privately held companies in the United States with revenues exceeding $2 billion annually and 40,000 associates serving half a billion customers in the United States, Canada, the United Kingdom, Australia and New Zealand. For more information, visit www.DelawareNorth.com.