BUFFALO, N.Y. and BOSTON (August 2, 2018) – Delaware North, one of the largest privately held hospitality companies in the world, has been awarded a multiyear contract to operate food, beverage and retail services at Logan International Airport through a partnership with developer MarketPlace Development. The contract will bring a mix of 12 new restaurant and retail offerings to the airport, beginning in late 2018.
The new food and beverage outlets will have a distinctively Boston feel, with several restaurants created by acclaimed Boston chef Michael Schlow being adapted for the airport, as well as two outposts of B. Good Burger, a popular Boston-based farm-to-table concept. Additionally, two of the city’s professional sports franchises – the Boston Bruins and Boston Celtics – will each have a dedicated, contemporary sports bar for fans to gather as they travel to and from Boston. New Balance, another Boston-born company, will also have a presence with a new retail outlet scheduled to open in 2019.
No stranger to Boston, Delaware North is the owner and operator of TD Garden, which is home to the Bruins and Celtics and hosts more than 3.5 million visitors and 200 live events each year. Delaware North also operates seasonal programming at Boston’s City Hall Plaza and is in the process of developing a 1.5 million-square-foot, mixed-use project adjacent to the Garden, called The Hub on Causeway.
“Delaware North is a global company, but Boston is a very, very important place for us, and our significant commitment to the community and economic development here continues to strengthen with our investments in TD Garden and The Hub on Causeway,” said Charlie Jacobs, CEO of Delaware North’s Boston Holdings. “So we are thrilled to extend our local focus to Logan Airport, where we can leverage our Boston synergies for travelers from and to our great city.”
Overall, Delaware North’s travel division operates food, beverage and retail services in more than 30 airports and travel hubs across three continents, including some of the world’s busiest airports such as Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport, Los Angeles International Airport and London’s Heathrow Airport. The company’s 300 total airport outlets include more than 200 brands — a mix of award-winning proprietary concepts, local and national partnerships and franchises.
“Delaware North has proudly served Boston’s sports fans for more than four decades, and now we’re delighted to bring our extensive airport hospitality expertise to the region,” said Kevin Kelly, president of Delaware North’s travel business. “Boston has a lot to offer from its dynamic culinary and retail scene, and we’re looking forward to showcasing it for travelers passing through Logan airport.”
Delaware North’s new concepts at Logan will touch three of the airport’s terminals, with the first openings expected in Terminal B starting in the fourth quarter of 2018. A list of expected restaurants and retail outlets and their estimated opening dates are as follows:
- Pei Wei: Thoughtfully created, Asian-inspired dishes prepared daily in a quick-service open kitchen with wok-fired fresh ingredients to lock in flavor and expedite service. Offering sharable small plates, traditional noodle and rice bowls, and creative salads such as Spicy Polynesian Poke Bowl and Wok-seared Chili Lime Chicken Salad. Scheduled to open in mid-late 2018.
- Wpizza: Famed restaurateur Wolfgang Puck developed this classic wood-fired pizza concept set in a contemporary, quick service environment. The menu ranges from traditional margherita with fresh basil, innovative prosciutto, olive and goat cheese pizza, to customizable pizza including sweet fennel sausage, wild mushroom, roasted eggplant and chicken meatball. Scheduled to open in mid-late 2018.
- Tico: Another unpretentious, casual concept by Chef Michael Schlow, with a Spanish inspired menu that has been modified into a quick service environment. Offering innovative tapas and flavorful street tacos such as crispy fish, cauliflower, shrimp, tender pork and homemade chorizo. Scheduled to open in early 2019.
- North End Bar: Celebrating one of America’s oldest cities, the North End Bar will encompass Boston’s rich history with an old-school, Italian deli-influenced menu that includes cured meats, imported cheeses and rustic Old-World rolls as well as locally sourced, fresh produce. It will also offer an array local craft brews, including Trillium, Harpoon, BEERWORK and Sam Adams. Scheduled to open in mid-2019.
- B. Good Burger: Farm-to-table-inspired, quick-service burger franchise showcases local farmers and suppliers on its seasonal menu board, connecting each community with quality, sustainable ingredients free of antibiotics, growth hormones, preservatives and artificial flavors or colors to create good food that tastes good, too. Offering kale and grain bowls, seasonal salads and all natural, hand packed burgers. Scheduled to open in early 2019. A second location will also open in Terminal A in mid-late 2019.
- Alta Strada: In 2007 Chef Michael Schlow developed this casual, approachable Italian restaurant. Featuring his hallmark attentive staff serving authentic antipasti, crispy thin crust pizza, sandwiches with house made ingredients, fresh inspired salads, traditional pastas and entrees such as Bolognese, roasted pork loin and grilled NY strip with elevated accompaniments. Includes walk-up counter, table service and full bar. Scheduled to open in mid-2019.
- Bruins Bar: Delaware North developed an original immersive experience featuring state-of-the-art technology highlighting the history of the Bruins and city of Boston. Menu items feature elevated pub favorites, salads, sandwiches and a full bar. Scheduled to open in early 2019.
- Monica’s Mercato: Home of the best sub sandwich in Boston, Monica’s Mercato will showcase a beloved North End eatery with its made-to-order sandwiches from locally sourced produce, carefully cured meats and cheeses and fresh-baked sub rolls. Monica’s at BOS will have all the charm of the beloved, award-winning original, adapted for busy travelers. Scheduled to open in mid-2019.
- Mija Cantina: Located in the historic Faneuil Hall, this authentic Mexican casual dine concept makes everything from scratch – serving fresh ceviche, soups, salads serve in an optional crispy taco shell, tacos in homemade corn or flour tortilla or crisp bibb lettuce wraps, and other fresh inspired Mexican dishes that pair perfectly with signature margaritas and seasonal cocktails, and an expansive tequila collection. Scheduled to open in mid-2019.
- New Balance: Founded in Boston in 1906, and still based in the Brighton neighborhood of Boston, this retail location will feature athletic shoes, socks and athletic clothing staples and accessories. Scheduled to open in mid-2019.
- Celtics Bar: With exclusive rights to deliver the Celtics to BOS, Delaware North created a unique, technology driven iconic Boston concept with a chef-driven menu featuring traditional Irish pub food and TD Garden staples, including breakfast, salad, sandwiches and entrees. Scheduled to open in late-2019.
About Delaware North
Delaware North is one of the largest privately-held hospitality companies in the world. Founded in 1915, Delaware North has global operations at high-profile places such as sports and entertainment venues, national and state parks, destination resorts and restaurants, airports, and regional casinos. Delaware North has annual revenues of $3 billion in the sports, travel hospitality, restaurants and catering, parks, resorts, gaming, and specialty retail industries. Delaware North’s travel business dates back to 1939 and continues to maintain several airport partnerships that have spanned more than 60 years. Learn more at www.delawarenorth.com.
About MarketPlace Logan, LLC
MarketPlace Logan, LLC, is an affiliate of New England Development and is the developer and manager of the Concessions Program at Boston Logan International Airport. Selected by the Massachusetts Port Authority, MarketPlace is responsible for developing, leasing, marketing and managing the Authority’s concessions program at Logan Airport with responsibility for overseeing the complete redevelopment and transformation of the concessions program. The concessions program offers more than 150 shops, restaurants and services, including many local favorites and regional and national brands. For more information, visit massport.com/logan-airport.