Innovative and talented Tom Aikens joins the Delaware North Companies team
BUFFALO, N.Y. (March 6, 2007) ? Wembley Stadium has signed Tom Aikens, one of the United Kingdom’s most exciting and talented chefs, to create a range of special desserts to be feature on the restaurant menu of Wembley’s prestigious members’ club, The Corinthian Club.
Aikens has achieved recognition as one of the UK's most technically accomplished chefs, and is known for his cutting edge gastronomic creations. This exciting collaboration between Wembley Stadium and Tom Aikens will see Aikens' desserts being served in Wembley's exclusive Corinthian Restaurant during the national stadium's first full year of events. Aikens will be working alongside Wembley Stadium's exclusive catering partner, Delaware North Companies, creating signature desserts to complement the stadium's best cuisine.
Talking about his appointment, Aikens said: "Wembley is the most famous stadium in the world and I am thrilled to be involved with such a famous and historic venue. The new stadium is magnificent and The Corinthian Club combines the best seats and the best events with first class dining, something that has been sadly missing up until now. As a chef I have always felt that there is a lot of room for improvement with the quality of hospitality offered at football grounds. By teaming up with Wembley, Delaware North and The Corinthian Club I will be able to combine my love of football and music with my passion and expertise for food. As a Corinthian Club member I can't wait to watch the events at Wembley.
The Corinthian Club is a unique sporting members club that Wembley Stadium has restored in conjunction with Stoke Park Club, the UK's most prestigious country club. Its 1,900 members will watch all the greatest events at the new National Stadium from the best seats in the house and enjoy first class dining in Wembley's most luxurious restaurant, The Corinthian Restaurant. Corinthian seats are as close to the action as you can get, situated on the half-way line directly beneath the royal box and flanking the 107 steps of Wembley's famous trophy presentation route. The Corinthian Club has already attracted some of the richest and most influential people from the worlds of business, sport and media.
Aikens, who is an England and Manchester United fan, opened his second London restaurant " Tom's Kitchen " in early November 2006. Located just a few hundred yards from his eponymous Michelin-starred first restaurant Tom Aikens, Tom's new restaurant is a more informal venture set over the four floors of a former pub, The Blenheim.
Wembley Stadium's Managing Director, Alex Horne said: "When we came up with the idea for The Corinthian Club, our aim was to create the ultimate sporting club and to give its members an unbeatable event day experience in every way. We wanted to be able to provide exceptional hospitality to match the quality of the first class events that are staged at Wembley. We want the best of everything for The Corinthian Club and Tom is at the very top of his profession. Tom has the culinary expertise and distinctive style that will work beautifully alongside our exclusive catering partner Delaware North Companies. The Corinthian Club is what the discerning fan has been waiting for and we are delighted to be welcoming Tom as a member. We are sure that Tom's desserts will make the Corinthian experience even more memorable for all its members."
Delaware North Companies is Wembley Stadium's official catering partner.
Notes to editors:
About Wembley Stadium:
Wembley National Stadium Limited (WNSL) is the company redeveloping Wembley Stadium as the world's leading sport and music venue.
About Tom Aikens
Tom was born in Norwich in 1970, and grew up in a family that enjoyed great food and wine. He studied at Norwich City College Hotel School, which led to his first job as a Commis Chef at the Mirabelle in Eastbourne. Moving to London, he embarked on Commis Chef roles at two high-profile and esteemed Michelin-starred restaurants ? Cavalier's with David Cavalier, then at The Capital Hotel with Philip Britten. Aged 22, he then worked as Chef de Partie with Pierre Koffman at La Tante Claire, which earned its third Michelin star at that time. It was there that Tom's passion for French cuisine took hold. He moved to Pied à Terre in 1993 as Sous Chef. Two seminal stints in France followed ? at three star Michelin Joël Robuchon in Paris and Gerard Boyer at Les Crayères in Reims. Returning to London and Pied à Terre in 1996 as Head Chef (and co-proprietor), Tom became the youngest ever UK recipient of two Michelin stars at the age of 26. Then, he returned to La Tante Claire and Pierre Koffman in 2000 for one year, followed by a year working as a private chef for both Lord Lloyd Webber, and the Bamford family at Daylesford Farm/ Wootton Organic. Tom's dream was always to open his own restaurant, and in 2003, he opened Tom Aikens Restaurant in Chelsea. In three and a half years, the restaurant has garnered phenomenal critical acclaim, receiving a Michelin star in 2004, and countless other prestigious accolades. Tom published his first cookbook
About The Corinthian Club
- Members of the Corinthian Club have their seats guaranteed for all of Wembley's major events including all England home internationals, both FA Cup Semi Finals, The FA Cup Final, The Football League Cup Final, The Community Shield and The Rugby League Challenge Cup Final.
- Corinthian Club members also have first refusal on tickets for all of Wembley Stadium's other major events including its music concerts.
- Corinthian seats are the best seats in the house situated on the half way line directly beneath the royal box and flanking Wembley's famous trophy ?presentation route. Corinthian seats are wide, padded with programme holder, cup holder and armrests and have unbeatable views of the action. They lead from the terraces directly onto Club Wembley's private concourse and into the Corinthian Restaurant, a mezzanine five star restaurant which seats all 1,900 Corinthian members for a sit down three course pre match meal, half time canapés, a light post match buffet and drinks throughout.
- All Corinthian seats are being sold on ten year terms. The cost is a one off licence fee of £18,918 followed by ten yearly instalments of £6,404. This works out at £691 per event per seat and includes all hospitality. All prices are inclusive of VAT.
- Membership of the Corinthian Club includes social membership of Stoke Park Club. Via membership of Stoke Park Club, Corinthian Club members will enjoy preferential rates for the spa, restaurant, golf course and hotel. Members will also have access to Stoke Park's social calendar which comprises of about 50+ events per year.
- Wembley Stadium offers a re-sale facility whereby Corinthian member's can sell on their seats and hospitality for events which they are unable to attend. Should members wish to sell on their Corinthian membership at any stage during the ten year term this can also be done via this re-sale mechanism.
- For more information on The Corinthian Club call 0845 676 2006 or visit www.corinthianclub.co.uk
About Delaware North Companies
Delaware North Companies is one of the world’s leading hospitality and food service providers. Its family of companies includes Delaware North Companies Parks & Resorts, Delaware North Companies Gaming & Entertainment, Delaware North Companies Travel Hospitality Services, Delaware North Companies Sportservice, Delaware North Companies International, TD Banknorth Garden, and American Park ‘n Swap. Delaware North Companies is one of the largest privately held companies in the United States with revenues approaching $2 billion annually and 40,000 associates serving half a billion customers in the United States, Canada, the United Kingdom, Australia and New Zealand. In 2002, Delaware North was awarded the prestigious Wembley Stadium contract to manage the catering service at Wembley Stadium, in the UK with a contract for 25 years. For more information about Delaware North Companies visit http://www.delawarenorth.co.uk or www.DelawareNorth.com.
About Stoke Park Club
Stoke Park Club is located just 30 minutes from Wembley Stadium, yet set within 350 acres of historic Buckinghamshire parkland. The Club offers Corinthian Club members the perfect destination to escape, entertain, and enjoy some of the finest sporting and leisure facilities in the country. Although the Estate¹s heritage can be traced for a millennium, it was in 1908 that Nick "Pa" Lane Jackson, Honorary Assistant Secretary of the FA, decided to create a home for the world-renowned Corinthian Sporting Club, and the Stoke Park Club that we know today was formed. For further information on the Club, please visit www.stokeparkclub.com