BUFFALO, N.Y. (June 14, 2012) – Individuals with celiac disease, or gluten intolerance, have to be especially careful every day to avoid wheat and other grains in the meals they consume. As a global leader in hospitality and food service, Delaware North Companies is dedicated to providing tasty, gluten-free foods at each of the 10 Major League Baseball stadiums in which it operates.
“We enjoy the challenge of making new, exciting gluten-free options and offering gluten-free versions of ballpark staples,” said Richard Dobransky, vice president of food and beverage for Delaware North Companies Sportservice.
Each season, Sportservice chefs serve up new meals, snacks and drinks without the gluten – from the classic hot dog to more exotic fare such as Mediterranean tapas to a cold glass of beer. Many Sportservice chefs not only offer gluten-free menu choices, but will also prepare a specific meal for someone with dietary restrictions if the person contacts the stadium in advance. Sportservice’s gluten-free options include:
· Busch Stadium: In St. Louis, The Asian Café, near Gate 1, offers gluten-free chicken or beef bowls with sautéed vegetables and a choice of sauce. Rice is offered as a gluten-free alternative to noodles. In the Farmers Market, guests can find a gluten-free sandwich, as well as a chef salad, fruit cup, and whole fruit. In the Red Bird Club area, guests can build their own salad using available gluten-free items. Other gluten-free items include a smoked turkey leg and a ‘low carb’ burger without a bun from Hardee's.
· Comerica Park: Comerica Park offers Detroit Tigers fans gluten-free Mediterranean tapas, seasonal fruit platters, hummus tasting plates, and RedBridge, a gluten-free beer.
· Great American Ball Park: At the United Dairy Farmers market stands, guests can enjoy gluten-free sushi, fresh fruit and a variety of salads. Skyline chili, a Cincinnati hallmark, comes in gluten-free varieties.
· Miller Park: The Brewers faithful have a tough decision to make when it comes to gluten-free food at the game. One can enjoy a jumbo dog, Italian or Polish sausage, chorizo or brat minus the bun; a chicken taco salad; or a cold Lakefront New Grist beer. The Grab ‘n’ Go stand in section 123 is another easy way to pick up gluten-free items, with brownies, chocolate tortes, sweet potato chips, and veggie and fruit cups.
· Oriole Park at Camden Yards: Baltimore hometown favorite Boog’s BBQ, located near Eutaw Street, can fix up a gluten-free beef, pork or chicken sandwich; and cheese pizza can be purchased at both By The Slice Pizza ballpark locations.
· PETCO Park: In San Diego, a gluten-free stand, located in section 104, is stocked with hot dogs and burgers on specially prepared rolls. Salads, hummus and other options are also available.
· Progressive Field: Gluten-free menu options can be found in sections 163/164 and 541/542 at the Cleveland Indians’ ballpark. Guests may choose from a classic ballpark frank, veggie dog or Italian sausage on a gluten-free bun; a black bean burger; or Riceworks multigrain crisps for a crunchy snack.
· Rangers Ballpark in Arlington: Numerous stands throughout the Texas ballpark carry gluten-free hot dogs and buns, salads, as well as large pretzels, chips, cookies, whole and cut fruit. RedBridge beer is also available.
· Target Field: Target Field boasts a huge selection of gluten-free foods and beverages for Minnesota Twins fans. Favorites include bunless hot dogs, grilled chicken, turkey legs, pork chops on sticks, Redbridge Beer, old fashioned Killebrew Root Beer, and Talenti premium gelato. Whole fruit and other fresh options are available at the Farmers Market in section 141.
U.S. Cellular Field: Chicago White Sox fans can enjoy carved-to-order roast beef, corned beef or roasted turkey sandwiches on multigrain bread; hot dogs and Comiskey dogs; nachos with beef barbacoa, pork barbacoa or chicken carnita; a variety of cookies; and Eli’s Salted Caramel Cheesecake. Seasonal fruit cups are also available. In addition, guests can sample two gluten-free beer options at Midwest Brews locations: Lakeshore Lager and Crispin Cider.